Patients can develop many serious complications and new sources of pain and injury. Here is a short list of these general complications.
- Signs of renal failure
- Internal organs can cause pain because they were perforated by defective implants
- Abdominal ulcers
- Chronic pain
- Allergic reactions to the materials used to create the implants
- Fistulas can develop in the intestines
- Unexplained bleeding
- Nerve damage
- The implanted mesh product may stop working – and there may be signs that the product is wearing away or migrating
- Surgical adhesions can develop
- Some degree of sexual dysfunction may occur
- The hernia problem may reoccur – requiring additional, corrective surgery
- The person’s bowels may become obstructed or perforated. The FDA has stated that this particular complaint has been mostly caused by (defective), recalled mesh products.
- Various infections can develop, often tied to one or more of the problems already noted above in this list.
While this list is not intended to be comprehensive, it does indicate many of the complaints our hernia mesh product clients often tell us about – or we find described in their medical records.