In Manhattan and other parts of New York City, it is often cost prohibitive to purchase, store, and drive an automobile. For this and other reasons, public transportation in New York City including by bus is very popular. With a large number of public and private buses traveling the streets of New York sharing roadways with the pedestrian, bicycle, and motor vehicle traffic, bus accidents are an unfortunate but inevitable outcome.
Driver error is the number one cause of bus accidents. This includes distracted driving, aggressive driving, inattention, lack of training or experience, failing to keep a safe distance between vehicles, and failing to keep a proper lookout. However, in addition to driver error, there are any number of other things which may cause an accident and lead to contact with a New York City bus accident attorney. To learn more or discuss whether you have the basis for a claim, schedule a consultation with one of our personal injury lawyers today.
Steps to Take Following a Bus Accident
What to do after a Bus Accident
- If you feel pain, go to the hospital
- Take photographs of the accident location, injuries, and all vehicles involved
- Write down the license plate # of all vehicles
- Obtain phone numbers and contact information for any witnesses
- Contact the New York City bus accident lawyers at Frekhtman & Associates
- In the days following the accident, do not speak to any insurance company. Do not give a recorded statement. Do not sign any paperwork such as authorizations, releases, or other forms provided by the insurance company. If the insurance company calls you, tell them all communications must be with your lawyer.
Damages you can recover after a bus accident include:
- Compensation for past and future pain & suffering
- Past and future lost wages, lost income, and other economic damages such as the value of household services
- The cost of medical expenses such as future surgery, physical therapy, and other medical care
- Loss of spousal consortium
- Loss of earning capacity
Types of Bus Accidents
The most common types of bus accidents that New York City bus accident lawyers deal with include:
- Bus collisions: rear end hits, sideswipes, improper lane changes
- Sudden stops
- Slip and fall accidents inside the bus or when exiting a bus
- Bus accidents with a pedestrian, bicyclist, motor vehicle, or truck
Bus Accident injuries
- herniated discs; bulging discs
- knee and shoulder injuries
- lower back and neck injuries
- and many other types of injuries
Importance of Consulting With a New York City Bus Accident Lawyer
Contact a New York City bus accident lawyer for a confidential consultation regarding your bus accident matter today.