Personal Injury Lawyer Helping Hit and Run Accident Victims
When you are a victim of a hit and run case, you may feel angry and confused about how to get the compensation for your damages and injuries. However, there are steps that can be taken that can help you to get through this unfortunate situation.
What is a hit and run case?
A hit and run case is when a driver intentionally leaves the scene without providing any contact information.
What to do after a hit and run case?
- Contact emergency services – Your first concern after the accident should be your safety as well as safety of your passengers. If anyone is injured, call emergency services. Keep track of effects that the accident had on all the passengers. Injuries to the spine may not be visible immediately after the accident and can take time to be recognized.
- Call the police- Leaving the site of the accident is an offense and the driver of the hit and run case can face some serious consequences for doing so. Providing the police with all the information you have can increase the chances that the driver is detained.
- Write down all the information available – After making the necessary phone calls, take a notepad and jot down all the information about the accident. In a hit and run case, the most crucial information is driver’s license plate number. If you are able to give the police the license plate number, they will easily track the owner of the car. Any information about the car is valuable. This includes the color of the car, the model number and other recognizable features. Write down even the most minute details as even they could make a difference.
- Identify the witnesses- If there was anyone who witnessed the accident and helped you on seeing the accident occurs, make sure you approach and take their contact information. Witnesses can be important in proving the other party guilty.
- Hire a personal injury lawyer- A personal injury attorney can help you obtain the compensation you deserve from the guilty party.
- Contact your insurance company- Give all the necessary details about the accident to your insurance company. Make sure you do not sign any document without consulting your lawyer because often insurance companies ask the victims to sign the settlement claim, which is far less than the compensation you deserve.
If you or your loved one has become the victim of hit and run case, contact us for a free case evaluation.
Imagine you are driving along the road when another vehicle side swipes your car and drives off. Your surprise prevents you from getting a license plate number or any driver information. You have just been the victim of a hit and run accident, but options are available to recover the damages if you follow the below tips from a Personal Injury Lawyer.
- Don’t try to follow the vehicle. Some people, in a panicked state, will attempt to follow the negligent driver. However, your adrenaline may cause you to drive recklessly. Also, the other driver may still be driving recklessly or may attempt to run you off the road in retaliation for following them.
- Contact your own insurance carrier. Insurance companies in most states must attach uninsured motorist (UM) insurance to all car insurance policies. UM insurance pays for damages caused by an uninsured or under-insured motorist and covers loss resulting from a hit and run accident.
- Call the police as soon as possible. Most states require that you get a police report completed if you are a victim of a hit and run. Most insurance companies will not honor a claim for UM insurance if you do not have a police report. You should also check to see if you need to file a report with the Department of Motor Vehicles, which is often required as well.
- Get medical treatment immediately. Even with health insurance, the cost of medical care can be prohibitive. However, you need treatment to improve your medical condition. Also, getting diagnostic testing and medical treatment could improve your chances of getting a fair settlement that covers medical damages and lost wages by proving that the injury caused you significant loss.
Hopefully you do not become the victim of a hit and run accident. However, if you do, contact us for a free case evaluation.