Construction Accident Facts by New York Attorney
Construction Industry is one the biggest industries in the USA. However, construction accidents and deaths are ranked 3rd among all other accidents in the New York State. If you are injured in a construction accident then you must get in touch with a construction accident lawyer.
There are different types of construction accidents which can take place at construction site. Some of these accidents includes Hoisting Accidents, Accidents with construction equipment or machinery: Forklift and or Crane Accidents, Car Accidents with construction vehicles, Falling object or construction debris hitting worker, Worker falls from a height / elevated platform / falls from ladders, Scaffolding collapses, Falls from scaffolds
The following are some statistics from the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics on safety and on-the-job injuries in the construction industry:
– One of every five workplace fatality results from construction accidents..
– 1,225 fatal occupational injuries in construction were reported in 2001, which excludes fatalities on September 11. Also in 2001, there were 481,400 nonfatal injuries and illnesses in construction. Incidence rates for nonfatal injuries and illnesses were 7.9 per 100 full-time equivalent workers in construction, and 5.7 per 100 full-time equivalent workers in all private industry in 2001.
– There are only 10% of construction companies which employ more than 20 workers, therefore great majority have no formal job safety regulations or programs in place.
– During year 1992, the “lost-workday” rate for workers in the construction industry was 5.7 per every 100 full-time workers. This lost-workday rate was the highest if compared with any other major economic sector.
– Nationwide, about 15% of workers’ compensation costs are attributable to injuries in the construction industry.
It is the legal right of construction workers to work in an environment which is free of hazards and foreseeable accidents as per the Occupational Safety and Health Act. Unfortunately, construction accidents do take place and most of these accidents result in fatal injuries.As per the New York State laws it is compulsory for employers to purchase insurance cover which provides workers compensation benefits to employees in case of an accident or injury. This insurance normally also covers lost wages, and all necessary medical care expenses. If you or your loved ones have been a victim of construction accident then you must get in touch with a personal injury lawyer