What To Do After a Car Accident by New York Personal Injury Lawyer
After a Car Accident it is important to:
1. Call the police. Leaving the scene of an accident without notifying the police is a crime in New York State.
2. Write down the license plate # of the other car involved as well as the make and model.
3. Don’t argue with the other driver. Stay in your car and wait for the police to arrive.
4. If you feel pain, go to the hospital to get checked out.
5. Take photos of the other car, the location of the accident, and your injuries. If you dont have a camera with you, check if your cell phone can be used to take pictures.
6. When the police arrive, tell them your version of what happened. Remember, the police officer did not see the accident so he will jot down what is described by both parties.
7. If you didn’t go to the hospital, but feel pain later than night, the next day, or soon thereafter – go to a medical doctor. The type of specialty that most people involved in car accidents go to is called physical therapy, pain management, and or rehabilitation.
8. Exchange driver’s license and insurance information with the other driver.
9. If anyone saw the accident, ask them to write down their name, address, and phone number. Find out if they would be willing to be a witness. Usually a witness doesn’t need to do much more then exchange their name and # and be available in case of a trial. At most, the witness would be required to give a quick deposition or statement of what he or she saw.
10. Call an attorney as soon as possible. Frekhtman & Associates, Attorneys at Law, is a law firm dedicated to representing individuals injured in motor vehicle accidents. The toll free # is (866) ATTY – LAW or visit the website at https://866attylaw.com